.
.

25 December 2013 Last updated 09:56: NOW SHOWING: THE BAY LIFE YEAR IN 140 PICTURES


HEADLINE : A Very Happy Christmas from Bay LIfe


FEATURE : LOST AND FOUND: The story of Peter Sellers and the Goons in Pevensey Bay

firefighetrs

The Fire Brigades Union has confirmed industrial action will take place on the following days: Today (Friday 1 November) between 18.30 and 23.00) and  Monday 4 November between 06.00 and 08.00

Wealden Council is advising that particular care will be required during any firework celebrations particularly this evening.

“Firefighters not involved in the strike will be on duty and ready to respond in the event of an emergency, but cover will inevitably be reduced”.

“While there are no major organised bonfire celebrations planned in East Sussex and Brighton and Hove during Friday’s strike, some families may be planning to hold their own celebrations at home and should take extra care. Simple bonfire and fireworks safety advice is available on the Wealdenn Council website“.

Chief Fire Officer and Chief Executive Des Prichard said: “We are ready to respond, but members of the public can help by staying safe and ensuring that we concentrate our resources where they are most needed. Remember that attending a large, organised display is one of the safest ways for you and your family to enjoy bonfire night. There are plenty going on around Sussex at this time of year.”

Fire Brigades Union General Secretary, Matt Wrack, said: “It is ludicrous that, after two years of negotiations, the government has still not sorted out this mess”.

“Firefighters are keen for these issues to be resolved through discussion, but the government won’t even listen to its own evidence, which highlights that the schemes are unworkable and unaffordable”.

“Firefighters want a pension scheme that takes account of the hazardous nature of the job as well as being affordable and workable for them and for the taxpayer”.

“We hope these brief strikes will mean the government returns to negotiations so we can agree a sensible way forward.”

The Fire Brigades Union suspended industrial action due to take place on Saturday 19 October in an “act of good faith” after being led to believe in negotiations that the government was willing to offer a guarantee that firefighters whose fitness levels declined with age would not face being sacked (the ‘no job no pension’ issue).

However, fire service employers confirmed last week that this risk does exist for firefighters under the new arrangements.

Fire Minister Brandon Lewis has claimed that firefighters have been given assurances by the fire and rescue services that they will not face the threat of ‘no job, no pension’ as they get older.

However, the FBU has received written confirmation from representatives of the fire and rescue services that they are unable to provide such a guarantee.

The ‘no job no pension issue’ is only one area of concern among many that the FBU has been raising with government for over two years.

Be Sociable, Share!